Real Madrid will hope to continue their flawless start to the season with a seventh consecutive victory on sight as they gear up for the 233rd Madrid derby against Atletico Madrid at Wanda Metropolitano on Sunday.
The Rojiblancos must overcome recent setbacks notably the 3-0 loss to Valencia to secure their second home league victory over Carlo Ancelotti’s led Madrid in nine encounters.
Here SportsBuffer brings you key details on – team news, how to watch it on TV, live stream info, and predicted line-ups from Atletico Madrid vs. Real Madrid.
Diego Simeone’s squad have encountered a rollercoaster of emotions in the early part of this season. A dominant 7-0 victory over Rayo Vallecano was quickly followed by a surprising 3-0 defeat to Valencia and a late equalizer by Lazio’s goalkeeper Ivan Provedel led to a draw at the Stadio Olimpico.
Los Blancos are determined to maintain their unbeaten record across all competitions this season and will hope to secure maximum points against the Rojiblancos.
ATLETICO MADRID VS REAL MADRID MATCH DETAILS:
Date: Sunday, 24th September
Location: Madrid, Spain
Stadium: Estadio Civitas Metropolitano
Kick-off Time: 20:00 BST / 15:00 ET / 12:00 PT
Referee: Javier Alberola Rojas
VAR: Guillermp Cuadra Fernandez
ATLETICO MADRID VS. REAL MADRID PREDICTED STARTING LINE-UP:
Atletico Madrid predicted line-ups: Jan Oblak; Axel Witsel, Mario Hermoso, Stefan Savic; Naheul Molina, Koke, Saul Niguez, Marcos Llorente, Samuel Lino; Alvaro Morata, Antoine Griezmann.
Real Madrid predicted line-up: Kepa Arrizabalaga; Fran Garcia, David Alaba, Antonio Rudiger, Lucas Vasquez; Aurelien Tchouameni, Luka Modric, Toni Kroos; Federico Valverde, Rodrygo, Joselu.
WHERE TO WATCH ATLETICO MADRID VS. REAL MADRID:
In the UK, the match will be shown live on ITV4, ITVX, LaLigaTV, Viaplay Sports 2, and Viaplay UK.
Fans in the United States can watch on ESPN Deportes and ESPN+.
ATLETICO MADRID VS. REAL MADRID MATCH STATS AND HEAD-TO-HEAD
- Real Madrid currently boasts the best defensive record in La Liga, having conceded the fewest goals this season. Impressively, they haven’t allowed two or more goals in any match.
- In recent La Liga encounters, Atletico Madrid have struggled against Real Madrid, winning just one of their last 14 meetings (D7 L6). This comes after an earlier period of six derbies where they remained undefeated (W4 D2).
- Following their September 2022 victory (2-1), Real Madrid could become the second team to win consecutive matches against Atletico Madrid at the Metropolitano in La Liga, a feat previously achieved by Levante (2-0 in 2021 and 1-0 in 2022).
- Atletico Madrid have consistently scored in their last 11 Madrid derbies in La Liga, totaling 24 goals. Scoring in the upcoming match would mark their best scoring streak against such opponents in top-flight history (12 games).
- Real Madrid have scored 298 goals in 172 matches against Atletico Madrid and could become only the second team in La Liga history to score 300 goals in regional derbies, trailing behind Barcelona’s 340 goals in 176 duels against Espanyol.
- Antoine Griezmann has netted seven goals in 26 games against Real Madrid in La Liga, with five coming in his 14 derby appearances. He is the top scorer against Real Madrid for Atlético in the 21st century.
- Diego Simeone has managed more games against Real Madrid in La Liga than any other coach in history (G23 W5 D9 L9), with only Ricardo Zamora achieving more wins in the derby for Atlético (same as Luis Aragonés – G22 W5 D6 L11).
- Carlo Ancelotti has faced Diego Simeone’s team seven times in all competitions, losing on seven occasions (G20 W8 D5). Only against Luciano Spalletti (11) and Roberto Mancini (8) has he suffered more defeats in his managerial career.
ATLETICO MADRID VS. REAL MADRID TEAM NEWS:
The Rojiblancos will be without several key players for the Madrid derby, including Thomas Lemar (Achilles tendon), Çağlar Söyüncü (hip), Memphis Depay (muscle), Koke (hamstring), Rodrigo De Paul (muscle), Reinildo, and Barrios.
Madrid will miss Thibaut Courtois and Eder Militao due to long-term injuries, and Dani Carvajal is sidelined with a muscular problem. Arda Guler and Vinicius Junior, while back in training, are unlikely to feature in the match.
ATLETICO MADRID VS. REAL MADRID PREDICTION
Both teams are dealing with extensive injury lists, making their squads thinner for the first Madrid derby of the season. Atletico are aiming to recover from a surprising 3-0 loss to Valencia.
Madrid have had a perfect start to La Liga, winning five consecutive games. They have often shown resilience, coming from behind to win, thanks to Jude Bellingham’s match-winning instincts. This upcoming Madrid derby promises to be a ferocious affair with the sternest of tests.
Sports Buffer prediction: Atletico Madrid 2:1 Real Madrid